Monday, July 30, 2012

Surgery

In August 2010 I was out wakeboarding with some friends and hurt my ankle. I have sprained and twisted my ankles plenty of times and thought that is what happened again. I took it easy. VERY easy. I didn't even walk around much. After about three months I thought it was fine so I started doing normal things again. It really wasn't better. I just figured I was a wimp (Wes helped convince me of that!) Anyway, for almost two years I babied my ankle. Couldn't run very well, couldn't wakeboard. In January of this year it started to get really bad. I couldn't even walk. It hurt to stand. So I went to the Dr hoping he would tell me there was something wrong so I didn't think I was being a baby. The Dr did x-rays and told me there was nothing wrong and that I was getting old enough that I should just stop running. I did not like that answer. I thought he was an idiot and maybe he saw that on my face because he then said - you don't like that answer, do you?  I said I certainly did not and that I would like to have a referral to a specialist.
I went to a specialist.  For some reason the insurance thinks they know more than a doctor that has gone to school for an obscene amount of time because when the doctor prescribed an MRI the insurance said I needed to have a months worth of physical therapy and injections first.  I knew that wasn't going to help, but we have to play by the stupid insurance rules... (as a matter of fact, the PT actually did more damage than good but I won't get on my I hate insurance soap box right now!)
So, after a long month of Physical therapy and injections the doctor said I should be able to get my MRI.  I did.  Come to find out I broke my ankle!  I fractured a little piece of bone right off.  It healed funny and every step I took since it healed has been shredding my cartilage.  Good thing the insurance knows better than the Dr!
Anyway, he said I needed surgery.  I scheduled it for right after Colby, Kailee and Timber left so I wouldn't be an invalid while they were visiting.
June 15 I had surgery on my ankle.  It was a simple procedure and my doctor did a fantastic job!  I was very nervous about pain afterwards and the healing process but it has all been fabulous!  I have been able to run and play totally PAIN FREE!!!!  It is so wonderful!  I love modern medicine!




When we got to the surgical center Wes turned to me and said "this is it?! You're gonna die!"
Very comforting words. 

About 2 hours after surgery Wes wanted to see what it looked like.




My boss at work sent me these flowers!  They were beautiful!


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am glad that your foot is better. That stinks that you had to deal with the pain for so long.