Since living here my kids have picked up a few different words. I knew they had an accent over here but didn't realize they used different words for things until one day in ASDA (the equivalent of WalMart) Kyler was a little bit ahead of us and suddenly turned around and yelled "Mom, I found a rubber in my pocket!" I was mortified! First, how does he know what a rubber is?! Second, Why does he have one it his pocket?! I had no idea that a rubber was an eraser. Whew!
Anyway, after that I thought I would write down a few of the words that are a bit different than in the States.
Rubbish = garbage No trash can or garbage can, its a rubbish bin.
Tea = dinner (sometimes it actually means tea) I thought they just loved tea over here. I had no idea they have breakfast, dinner and tea.
Mum, mummy = mom Even in books and stuff they don't use the word mom.
Straight away = now Delaney has picked up on this one. Mom, I'm going to go to bed straight away.
Biscuits = cookies I am not sure what they call biscuits. :)
Pudding = dessert This one has helped me make a little more sense of Pink Floyd. "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat" Again, like with the tea, I thought they were obsessed with pudding. They aren't.
Jelly = Jell-O
Jam = jelly/jam
Chips = fries (unless they are from McDonalds, then they are fries)
Pie = some type of dinner. For example Steak & Kidney Pie, Cheese & Onion Pie, etc.
Buns = cupcakes
Holiday = vacation.
Brilliant = they use it like we would use Awesome
Cheers = almost anything! It means thanks, please, your welcome, hello, goodbye. Really they just say it all the time. It really drives Wes crazy. :)
Wellies = rain boots
Sat Nav = GPS
Football = soccer
Tick = tag (like the game)
Jumper = sweater
Trump = fart (I only learned that one because I have boys. They made sure I knew!)
Fag = Cigarette
Nappy = diaper
Pram = stroller
A lot of words here they have just shortened. Uni = University, Veg = vegetables etc.
Also, the word Crap is a bad word. We aren't allowed to use it. Try to stop saying it. I never realized how often I said that stupid word! I just hope that we aren't the crazy house with the mom that swears all the time!
The F-word isn't very bad though. It is all over the TV. Once it hits about 9 pm the television needs to go off. I didn't realize that when we first got here. How was I supposed to know they show anything and everything! I have been quite sheltered... At about 9 is when all the craziness starts! I was watching a medical show that had people with strange/unique issues. Here I am watching and all of the sudden BAM! naked men standing there. Holy Moly! I kind of panicked a little... I didn't really know what to think. I shut the TV off immediately, but goodness sakes - that was strange. I was really not ready for that kind of shock! I know now and we are very careful what we watch.
I have loved learning all about this country and enjoyed hearing my kids vocabulary change a little bit. It has been a fantastic adventure for us and have enjoyed all the friends we have made here!
And because I don't like to have a post without a picture...
I Choose You
6 years ago

2 comments:
Loved this post!!!!!!!! I am going to start using "trump". It is the best word I've heard so far for such a nasty thing. I hate all the words used over here.
Your family is beautiful. I love reading about your fun adventure. I say crap way too much. I'll have to quit.
Post a Comment